We welcome prospective students to join our February 7th, 2018 BASW Open House!
The School of Social Work seeks individuals who are interested tackling complex social problems, building skills to help individuals, families and communities, and who are committed to becoming social change agents. The admissions committee makes final decisions based on the strength of the overall application materials. Please carefully review the Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Prosessional Conduct before applying.
- BASW students are admitted for Fall quarter only
- Applications become available in February
- Fall 2017 BASW application deadline has passed (April 3, 2017)
- Fall 2018 BASW applications will be available in February 2018 (anticipated deadline in early April 2018)
Who can apply?
- Current UW students — BASW application required
- Transfer students — UW transfer application + BASW application required
- Returning students — UW returning student application + BASW application required
- Minimum of 65 college level credits by start of program
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Earned 2.00 or higher in each prerequisite
See the BASW prerequisites page for details about the four prerequisites that must be completed before you start the BASW program. These four classes can still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the time you start the program, if admitted. Prior to the start of the program, applicants must complete one course in each of the following subjects: Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Economics/Political Science.
Notice Regarding Statistics and Foreign Language:
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, an approved introductory Statistics class is a required prerequisite of senior year BASW courses (recommended prior to admission).
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, BASW seniors must fulfill the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (third year of high school foreign language or third college quarter of a foreign language, or equivalent) in order to graduate. This graduation requirement is different from the UW foreign language admission requirement.
There is no minimum hour requirement for volunteer or community service.
Fall 2017 BASW Application Deadlines & Materials
February 15, 2017: Deadline to apply to UW for Fall 2017 university transfer admission
- This critical, separate application is required if you are not yet a current UW student. Learn about general university transfer admission. Transfer students must submit a separate application in addition to the BASW application below. This deadline is earlier than the BASW deadline. UW returning students should instead consult the Returning Student reenrollment page for returning student application requirements.
- Contact the UW undergraduate admissions office with questions, or consider attending a UW Transfer Thursday session.
- You must also submit the BASW application, below.
April 3, 2017: Departmental deadline to apply to the BASW program for Fall 2017
- All prospective Fall 2017 BASW students must complete this departmental application for admission.
Ready to apply?
The Fall 2017 BASW application deadline (April 3, 2017) has passed. Fall 2018 BASW applications will be available in February 2018 (anticipated deadline in early April 2018).
Begin by opening the Application Instructions and Materials PDF document above. This is where you will find the link to the BASW Online Application portal, plus all required forms listed below. Everything you need is in this document. Read the directions carefully.
BASW Application Materials
- BASW Application (online application portal)
- *Signed BASW Application Signature Form
- *Signed Personal Disclosure Statement Form
- *Social Service Experience Form
- Unofficial Transcripts
- **One Recommendation for Admission Form (Letter of Recommendation)
*You will need to download the BASW Application Signature Form, Personal Disclosure Statement Form, and Social Service Experience Form to your computer -- after filling them out (and signing some where applicable), you will upload these to the online BASW application portal with the other documents above. Forms may be either completed and signed by hand, or, electronically using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free download). Make sure you have the most recent version of the software installed. Do not edit our PDF forms directly in your web browser (this has been known to cause problems); download the forms to your computer and open them from Adobe Reader. Follow the Adobe Reader instructions on page 2 of the instruction document above to ensure best results.
**Allow sufficient time for your one reference to submit a Recommendation for Admission Form on your behalf; you must download this form, fill out the top portion, and send it to your reference for them to complete the remainder of the form and email it to us by the deadline. See the instructions above.