The Autumn 2018 priority deadline has passed and we are no longer accepting applications to the BASW Program. Application materials will be updated early next year - in the meantime, please use this page as a reference only.
The School of Social Work seeks individuals who are interested tackling complex social problems, building skills to help individuals, families and communities, and who are committed to becoming social change agents. The admissions committee makes final decisions based on the strength of the overall application materials. Please carefully review the Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Professional Conduct before applying.
- BASW students are admitted for Autumn quarter only
- BASW application is not currently available for submission
- Transfer applicants must also submit a required UW transfer application (Autumn 2019 deadline is February 15, 2019)
- UW FAFSA priority deadline: January 15th (annually) | HB 1079 Students: WASFA
Events and Information Sessions
- For information about upcoming events, drop-in hours, and information sessions, please visit our Social Work Admissions Calendar
Who can apply?
- Current UW students — BASW application required (1 application)
- Transfer students — UW transfer application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Returning students — UW returning student application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Minimum of 65 college level credits by start of program
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Earned 2.00 or higher in each prerequisite
See the BASW prerequisites page for details about the four prerequisites that must be completed before you start the BASW program. These four classes can still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the time you start the program, if admitted. Prior to the start of the program, applicants must complete one course in each of the following subjects: Human Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Economics/Political Science.
Please note: The BASW Program has proposed removing the human biology and economics/political science prerequisites for students entering Autumn 2019. The proposed changes are pending UW approval and information will be updated as soon as possible, prior to the new application cycle.
Notice Regarding Statistics and Foreign Language:
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, an approved introductory Statistics class is a required prerequisite of senior year BASW courses (recommended prior to admission).
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, BASW seniors must fulfill the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (third year of high school foreign language or third college quarter of a foreign language, or equivalent) in order to graduate. This graduation requirement is different from the UW foreign language admission requirement.
There is no minimum hour requirement for volunteer or community service, however, our strongest applicants tend to have participated in social service related volunteerism, work experience, and internship opportunities. Please review this resource to assist you in identifying relevant social service experience. For details about our 2017 applicant pool, please review the class profile detailed above.
BASW Application Deadlines & Materials
The Autumn 2018 BASW Application is now closed. 2018 reference materials can be viewed on the Application Instructions page.
Learn about general university transfer admission. Transfer students must submit a separate application in addition to the BASW application. This deadline is earlier than the BASW deadline. UW returning students should instead consult the Returning Student reenrollment page for returning student application requirements.
Contact the UW undergraduate admissions office with questions, or consider attending a UW Transfer Thursday session.
You must also submit the BASW application.