Transforming learning for tomorrow’s health professional
The UW Health Sciences Interprofessional Education Initiative is designed to integrate teaching and learning across the six health sciences schools in order to transform the curriculum, re-imagine classroom facilities and reshape pedagogical approaches to health sciences training, education and research.
The initiative is spearheaded by the University of Washington Board of Health Sciences Deans, representing dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health and social work. This innovative collaboration supports a cross-discipline, team-based learning experience for all health sciences students.
Here are three case studies highlighting benefits of an interprofessional education:
- Being the first: The UW health sciences schools are the first in the country to offer an interprofessional course on homelessness for UW students through Medex Northwest.
- Asking big questions: The IPE process encourages students to ask big questions about specific health issues, such as tooth decay in children as explored in this IPE session.
- Understanding the patient: Panel discussions, which often kick off IPE sessions, can provide important insight into patient groups as demonstrated in a presentation on working with veterans, featuring MSW student and veteran Paul Stayback.
- Working as a team: The IPE approach provides perspective on complex health care issues as described in this story, which profiles a UW health sciences team, exploring why 5 percent of patients nationwide account for almost 50 percent of health care spending in the United States.
For more information about interprofessional education:
- Contact Taryn Lindhorst If you are a student and would like to learn how IPE can enhance your social work education.
- Contact Susan Kemp if you are a faculty member and would like to find out how you can innovate in the classroom with IPE techniques.
- Visit the IPE health sciences Web page for an events calendar, FAQs and communication tools such as a PowerPoint presentation on IPE.
- Watch this UW TV 360 video on faculty training and knowledge sharing across health science disciplines.
- Subscribe to UW IPE News for stories, profiles, upcoming events and more from the Center for Health Sciences Interprofessional Education, Research and Practice.