In 2008, the Council on Social Work Education updated their educational policy and accreditation standards and distributed a set of competencies for social work development that all students need to achieve during their education. Ten newly defined competencies encompass forty-six practice behaviors that illustrate mastery of the competencies, which can be defined as knowledge, values and skills that professional social workers must be able to demonstrate.
The UW School of Social Work reviewed and adopted the competencies for use beginning in the 2010–11 academic year.
As of January 1, 2011, the new competencies are reflected in each BASW and Foundation MSW course as outcome standards, including practicum and the learning contracts and evaluations used to structure and assess field learning. Students and practicum instructors are being trained in the use of the competencies as critical factors in developing activities in agencies which support learning and skill development in each of the ten competency areas.
General Information on EPAS
Below you will find links to educational material about the competencies and their application to practicum in the BASW senior and MSW foundation year.
- Foundation Competency Grid
- Foundation Competencies powerpoint
- Field Education Learning Contract instructions Foundation Year
- Foundation Competency Activity examples
- Grid of Foundation Issues, Activities, and Competencies
- FOR ADMINISTRATION & POLICY PRACTICE
- FOR CHILDREN & FAMILIES & MULTIGENERATIONAL PRACTICE (DAY) & EDP MULTIGENERATIONAL PRACTICE WITH CHILDREN, FAMILIES, & ELDERS
- FOR HEALTH & MENTAL HEALTH PRACTICE (DAY) & EDP INTEGRATIVE HEALTH-MENTAL HEALTH ADVANCED PRACTICE
- FOR COMMUNITY CENTERED INTEGRATIVE PRACTICE
- Criteria for Competency Ratings for Advanced MSW Student Evaluation
- HANDOUT: EXAMPLES OF WELL WRITTEN EVALUATIONS: POSITIVE FEEDBACK WITH SPECIFIC DESCRIPTORS in LEARNING AREAS
- WORKSHEET #2: Developing Evaluative Statements
- WORKSHEET#1: Learning Contract Development
- Sample Advanced MH Contract
- Advanced Concentration Behaviors and Activities Work Sheet - CYF