We ask our community to remain vigilant in protecting the civil rights and well-being of those who are subject to prejudice or acts of discrimination because they or their family members are from geographic regions where COVID-19 outbreaks first occurred. Anti-Asian racist incidents have become widespread, ranging from outright violence to various forms of verbal harassment and discriminatory exclusion. Some students have reported being cyber-bullied during their on-line school experiences.
Police and government officials in Seattle, Bellevue and other local jurisdictions have encouraged individuals who experience or witness incidents to report all hate crimes, including verbal harassment, so that an accurate picture of anti-Asian hate activity can be created. Call 911 immediately if you have an incident to report.
How to report incidents at the UW:
- UW Seattle Bias Reporting
- UW Bothell Bias Reporting
- UW Tacoma Bias Reporting
- UW Bias-Incident Reporting Tool
Governmental and nongovernmental reporting tools:
- StoptheHate.Community—A reporting tool developed by the Washington State Commission on Asian-Pacific American Affairs
- Stand Against Hatred—Incidents of bias are being tracked by Asian Americans Advancing Justice. Forms are available in English, Chinese (traditional & simplified), Korean and Vietnamese.
- AAPI Hate Incident Form—A form to report hate and bias incidents developed by OCA -Asian Pacific American Advocates
- Stop AAPI Hate—A reporting center managed by the Asian Pacific Policy and Planning Council and Chinese for Affirmative Action. Forms are available in English, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Khmer, Thai and Japanese.
- Seattle Japanese American Citizens League. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Seattle Office for Civil Rights
- King County Coalition Against Hate and Bias
Bystander intervention and other resources:
- Bystander Intervention Training to Stop Anti–Asian-American and Xenophobic Harassment—Hollaback
- Social Work’s Call to Action Against Pandemic Othering & Anti-Asian Racism—Society for Social Work and Research
- Fighting xenophobia in the age of coronavirus by Victoria Gardner, Assistant Dean, UW School of Public Health
- Racism in the time of coronavirus, Podcast, Filipino American National Historical Society, Seattle Chapter
- A Town Hall on Anti-Asian Racism—The People’s Collective for Justice and Liberation
- Calling Out Xenophobia, Racism and Intolerance During the COVID-19 Crisis—Diverse Issues in Higher Education Panel Discussion
- Disarming Racism from a Psychological Perspective—Dr. Taylene Yang
- What to Do If You’ve Been The Victim of a Hate Crime—Human Rights Campaign