Prospective Student Open House
Attention: The information below is about past Open House events (2019-2020 acadmic year), and is here for reference only. If you would like to receive notification about future BASW Open House events, please fill out this quick form to let us know. We will then notify you once this page is updated with new information, including dates/times of future BASW Open Houses. We anticipate scheduling events for Fall 2020 and Winter 2021.
Prospective Bachelor of Arts in Social Welfare (BASW) students are invited to attend our BASW Open House event! Please register in advance, to help us plan for food and seating needs (guests will receive an email reminder). This events is free and open to the public.
Bachelor of Arts in Social Welfare (BASW) Open House
Wednesday, February 12, 2020 | 6:00-8:00 p.m.
UW School of Social Work building
Room 305 (third floor)
4101 15th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98105
Registration: Click here to register for the February 12th Open House
*Guests who previously registered for the postponed January 15th event: please submit a new registration form for the February 12th event. Thank you!
This is a terrific opportunity for prospective students to meet current BASW students and staff, enjoy free food, get helpful admission and financial aid/funding tips, and get excited about the late January launch of the BASW departmental application for Fall 2020 admission. Guests will receive timely tips and advice about the application process, prerequisites, and funding.
Free dinner will be provided, courtesy of Thanh Vi Vietnamese Restaurant. Vegetarian and meat options will be available (guests with additional dietary restrictions are welcome to bring their own snacks/food; please do not bring bell peppers, due a serious bell pepper allergy of one of our community members – thank you!). Tentative agenda (subject to change):
- What is Social Welfare/Why Pursue a BASW?
- Meet BASW Professors and School of Social Work Staff
- BASW Program Overview and Student Services/Resources
- Community Service Learning and BASW Practicum
- Current Student Panel Q&A
- BASW Admissions and Financial Aid
NOTICE TO PROSPECTIVE UW TRANSFER APPLICANTS:
If you are a prospective transfer student who has not yet applied for transfer admission to UW's Seattle campus, you'll need to submit two separate applications for admission:
- UW transfer application, for admission to the University of Washington. Prospective UW transfer students should review the UW transfer admission website for details, timelines and requirements. Deadlines vary, based on your intended quarter of admission. UW's application deadline for Autumn 2021 transfer admission is February 15, 2021. We invite prospective transfer students to reach out to us for transfer advising prior to then.
- BASW application for departmental admission to the Autumn 2021 BASW program (will become available in late January 2020, with an April 15 deadline to apply). Note: UW's Autumn 2021 transfer application deadline (February 15, 2021) is earlier than our departmental BASW application, which does not become available until late January/early February. Transfer students should plan ahead and must apply for university admission, in addition to departmental admission to the Social Welfare major (BASW program).
Prospective transfer students should explore UW's Transfer student website for transfer planning tools and resources, as well as information about additional campus visit opportunities including Transfer Thursday events.
FAFSA & WASFA/FINANCIAL AID:
Over half of UW undergraduates receive financial aid. Applying for financial aid is separate from your application(s) for admission. The UW uses the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and for undocumented students living in Washington, the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). For priority aid consideration, be sure that you have submitted your FAFSA/WASFA by January 15 for the upcoming school year, even if you don’t know whether you will be offered admission. For more details, visit: http://admit.washington.edu/costs/aid. Undocumented students are encouraged to explore UW's Leadership Without Borders resources as well as Immigrants Rising.
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING:
The School of Social Work building is located at 4101 15th Avenue NE in Seattle (across from Schmitz Hall, near the Henry Art Gallery). Click here for detailed directions and information about parking options; a UW campus map is also available. As we are unable to offer guests free parking, public transportation is encouraged. Guests can purchase parking permits for on-campus garages, including the Central Plaza Garage located at the intersection of 15th Avenue NE and NE 41st Street, directly across from the School of Social Work building. This is the closest garage parking, but does require payment. See the UW Transportation Services parking page for details about this and other campus garage parking options.
The School of Social Work building is located at 4101 15th Avenue NE (across from Schmitz Hall). The building's front entrance is wheelchair accessible, and elevators are available.
To request disability accommodation, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 (voice), 206-543-6452 (TTY), 206-685-7264 (fax), or email@example.com. The University of Washington makes every effort to honor disability accommodation requests. Requests can be responded to most effectively if received as far in advance of the event as possible, preferably at least 10 days.
Contact Dave Morrin, UW School of Social Work Recruitment Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206.685.2425.