The Office of Student Services has put together a list of low-cost community counseling options for students. The UW School of Social Work neither endorses nor sponsors any of the following counseling agencies or individuals. Also, updates are made as we are able, but always call and confirm to make sure the information below is correct. If you have updates, please send email to email@example.com.
Students are reminded that free counseling options are available to registered BASW and all MSW students through the UW Counseling Center in Schmitz Hall 401.
Student Services has also partnered with the UW Counseling Center to provide workshops. Students can view the Mental Health and Wellness Presentation with Charisse Williams.
Students looking for mental health services may use the Hall Health Mental Health Clinic. These services are not covered by student fees, so there is a charge. Hall Health does take many insurance plans.
The Crisis Clinic—not affiliated with the UW— is available for phone calls 24 hours each day. They provide immediate, confidential assistance for people in emotional distress and in need of help.
Also for immediate needs is the National Grad Crisis-Line, set up specifically for graduate students, at 1-800-472-3457. Also available by skype.
Community Based Agencies/Organizations
- Accepts insurance
- Sliding scale available ($35-$95)
- Low-fee services for under $30,000 annual income (Samaritan Center’s Low-Fee Clinic is separate from their sliding scale provided by approximately 10 graduate student interns and Master’s and PhD-level degreed externs working toward licensure. Fees based on family size and income.
Low Cost Therapy Associates 206-903-9195
- Group of two therapists offering low-cost counseling on a sliding scale for clients in need.
- Some insurance plans offered
- Sessions are $40 each if your household income is under $2000 per month
- Designed to match female clients who wish to work with a female therapist.
- Four appointments are included in one fee of $95 and they do offer a sliding scale fee system.
Wellspring Family Services Counseling 206-524-9055
1191 Second Avenue, Suite 680, Seattle, WA 98101
- Counseling for individuals, couples, families, and children.
- Counseling for emotional problems affecting everyday life: stress, anxiety, depression relationship difficulties, conflicts resulting from cross-cultural relationships, grief and loss, parenting, aging, loneliness, and transitions.
- Branches in Downtown, West Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond. Call for locations & appointments.
Fremont Community Therapy Project 206-633-2405
3429 Fremont Pl N #319, Seattle, WA 98103
- Low-cost psychotherapy, psychological assessment
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Groups and EMDR.
- Sessions range from $20 to $45 per session for therapy.
Seattle Counseling Service for LGBTQ Individuals 206-323-1768
1216 Pine St., Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98101
- Counseling and case management for adults and youth.
- Sliding scale, medical coupons accepted.
- Monday-Thursday 8 am - 8 pm. Friday 8 am - 5 pm. After hours call Crisis Line at 206-461-3222.
Asian Counseling and Referral Service 206-695-7600
725 Eighth Ave S., Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98104
- Mental health services.
- Sliding scale, medical coupons accepted.
- Monday-Friday 8am-5:30pm.
Jewish Family Service 206-461-3240
1601 16th, Seattle, 98122
- Counseling and referrals, sliding scale.
- Services offered to UW students through partnership with UW Hillel Counseling Service, $10 session
Lutheran Community Services 206-694-5700
- Several locations in the Seattle area
- Individual, couples, group, marriage, pre-marital, and family counseling.
- Sliding fee scale.
Seattle Therapy Alliance 206-660-4395
- Women’s Clinic offering low fee services ($30 to $50 per session).
- No session limit; one-year commitment encouraged.
UW Medical Center Outpatient Psychiatric Center (option for accessing medications) 206-598-7792
University of Washington, on Roosevelt
- Provide 60-90 minute consultation and evaluation session, can provide ongoing if recommended.
- Take most major insurance, no sliding scale
- Need referral from therapist or health care provider.
- Anil Coumar, MBBS, MA, LMHC
- Mindfulness and Inquiry-based Psychotherapy, Consultation and Assessment
- Takes both UW Student Insurance and UW Graduate Student Appointee Health Insurance
- Experience in higher education settings (was director at Hall Health Mental Health Clinic)