The University of Washington health sciences schools (of which the School of Social Work is one) signs “Affiliation Agreements” with area agencies so that our students may be placed in practicums at those agencies. Compliance with certain immunizations and screenings are part of those agreements. The UW is required to track and provide verification that our students meet these requirements before we can allow our students onto practicum sites (and if they fall out of compliance, we must pull the students from the sites.) The Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) is the office that tracks this compliance.

Students in all UW health sciences programs must comply with HSIP requirements, which are based on CDC recommendations for health care personnel regarding immunizations, immune status, and TB screening. The HSIP requirements and CDC recommendations may change during a student’s tenure in a UW health sciences program. If the HSIP requirements and CDC recommendations change after the student meets initial HSIP requirements, the student will be required to comply with the updated HSIP requirements until the completion of their degree program. The only exception to this policy is that students in the schools of Social Work, Public Health, and Dentistry who began their program in 2014 or earlier may continue to “opt out” of flu vaccine for personal or medical reasons. 

Health Science Immunization Program:

Frequently Asked Questions

I turned in measles immunization Documentation - aren't I done?
No. The UW has a measles immunization requirement, but that isn’t enough to be compliant in any of the UW Health Sciences Schools.  You must submit information listed above.

What is the fee and what will it cover?
There is no longer an annual fee, but rather a quarterly fee. An $18-$24 (depending on program) quarterly fee will be charged to your tuition statement for HSIP's services. Please see the HSIP website for more information on the Health Fee.

May I opt out of any of these requirements?
There are no exemptions for these requirements short of medical contraindications, which must be documented annually. 

Where can i find low-cost immunizations and screenings?
Health Care Resources 

More info about finding low-cost health coverage is at Washington Health Plan Finder.

How can I check to see if I've done everything I'm supposed to do?  *This process will be changing for the 2018-2019 academic year*

Email your name, student #, program, and year in program to and ask. Just remember, you'll still have to get a PPD or IGRA in the early summer and a flu shot in early September each year to maintain compliance!

Castle Branch

Welcome to CastleBranch’s optimized student help desk!

Because of the feedback from programs like yours, we’ve made our best-in-class student help desk even better. 

While logged into their myCB account, your students can click on the “Need Help?” menu on the top right side of their homepage and get help in a variety of ways.

Here are some key enhancements your students can count on:

1) A new, 100% mobile-friendly video FAQ support library. Through their myCB account, students can access a comprehensive video library of all their frequently asked help topics for quick, 24/7 help on the go.

2) Accelerated call-in service desk with reduced wait times. Students can call into our help line anytime during our normal business hours and enjoy reduced wait times due to re-aligned staff during peak hours.

3) Live chat. Students can contact us for help online via the live chat feature in their myCB account anytime during our normal business hours.

We’ve placed a link in your Administrator Portal for you to have access to the video library as well.

As always, we’re here to help.

Thank you,

The CastleBranch Team

Call Service Desk at 888.666.7788

Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday 8am - 8pm ET
Friday: 8am - 6:30pm ET
Sunday: 10am - 6:30pm ET


For more FAQs, please visit the HSIP office website: