The School of Social Work seeks individuals who are interested tackling complex social problems, building skills to help individuals, families and communities, and who are committed to becoming social change agents. The admissions committee makes final decisions based on the strength of the overall application materials. Please carefully review the Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Professional Conduct before applying.
- Students may apply January through April 15th of each year, to begin in September
- BASW students are admitted for Autumn quarter only
- Transfer applicants must also submit a required UW transfer application (see website for deadlines)
- UW FAFSA priority deadline: January 15th (annually) | HB 1079 Students: WASFA
Info Sessions, Advising, and Resources
- View the BASW Application Summary and BASW Brochure
- For information sessions, drop-in hours, and events: Admissions Calendar
- Schedule an advising appointment
- 2020 BASW Admission Class Profile
- 2019 BASW Admission Class Profile
- 2018 BASW Admission Class Profile
Who can apply?
- Current UW students — BASW application required (1 application)
- Transfer students — UW transfer application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Learn about general university transfer admission. Transfer students must submit a separate application in addition to the BASW application. This deadline is earlier than the BASW deadline. UW returning students should instead consult the Returning Student reenrollment page for returning student application requirements. Contact the UW undergraduate admissions office with questions, or consider attending a UW Transfer Thursday session.
- Returning students — UW returning student application + BASW application required (2 applications)
- Minimum of 65 college level credits by start of program
- Minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA
- Earned 2.00 or higher in each prerequisite
See the BASW prerequisites page for details about the two prerequisites (introductory courses in psychology and sociology) that must be completed before you start the BASW program. These two classes can still be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the time you start the program, if admitted.
Notice Regarding Statistics and Foreign Language:
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, an approved introductory Statistics class is a required prerequisite of senior year BASW courses (recommended prior to admission).
- Though not a requirement for BASW admission, BASW seniors must fulfill the Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (third year of high school foreign language or third college quarter of a foreign language, or equivalent) in order to graduate. This graduation requirement is different from the UW foreign language admission requirement.
There is no minimum hour requirement for volunteer or community service, however, our strongest applicants tend to have participated in social service related volunteerism, work experience, and internship opportunities. Please review this resource to assist you in identifying relevant social service experience. For details about our 2020 applicant pool, please review the class profile detailed above.
Criminal Background Check
Applicants who are offered admission to the School of Social Work will receive instructions to complete the criminal background check with the admission notice. Prospective applicants with questions or concerns about this requirement should contact the Director of Admissions as you proceed through the application process.