Page Contents:


Financial Aid

Departmental Scholarships


Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards (OMSFA)

Undergraduate Research Program

Estimated Tuition & Fees (2023-2024 Academic Year)

Tuition and fees are updated annually in summer/early fall (upon Board of Regents approval) for the following academic year; estimates are made based on the best information available at the time and some changes are outside of the control of the School.

  Resident Non-Resident
Quarterly Tuition and fees1 $4,215 $13,999
HSPI Fee2 $115 $115
Course Fees3 $0 - $150 $0 - $150
Estimated Tuition & Fees for 1st Year $12,760 $42,112
Estimated Tuition & Fees for 2 Years $25,627 $84,331

The Academic Year includes three quarters, beginning in September and ending in June. It does not include summer quarter; students take 10-18 credits per quarter during fall, winter, and spring.

1 Tuition includes building, facilities, IMA, operating, services and activities, technology, and U-PASS fees. Fees are subject to change based on Board of Regents approval. International Students may have additional fees and are required to enroll in health insurance.

SSW students must participate in the HSIP. HSIP fee estimate includes a one-time $35 setup fee, annual fee varies (est. $72 for 2022-2023).

Students who enroll in SOC WF 415 pay a $50 course fee for each quarter enrolled in practicum (generally autumn, winter and spring for year 2).

Financial Aid

University of Washington students use the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Applicants who identify as DACA eligible, HB 1079 eligible, DREAMers, or undocumented should complete the WAFSA. International Students are generally not eligible for financial aid, however they are eligible for departmental scholarships

The FAFSA/WAFSA should be submitted by UW's priority deadline for priority consideration for aid programs for the upcoming school year, however it can be submitted after this date as well. Financial aid is not awarded until admission into UW has been granted. 



Not sure if you're eligible for WAFSA? Complete the WAFSA Questionnaire to determine your eligibility.

The application for financial aid is separate from the application for admission. UW Financial Aid includes grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. Awards and financial aid packages will be sent throughout the spring and summer. Generally, this will be sent to you electronically so please check your UW email and MyUW regularly. The award notice shows you the types and amount of aid you are eligible to receive. Please accept your aid as directed, even if you are requesting or expecting changes. Unaccepted awards are subject to cancellation. You can request changes to your award here.

The Husky Promise guarantees tuition and fees will be 100% covered for eligible students. Students who submit a FAFSA are automatically considered for this award. 

More info on financial aid can be found on UW's Office of Student Financial Aid website.

Departmental Scholarships for Prospective and Continuing Students

A number of fellowships and other types of grants are available to students through the generous contributions of donors to the School and through University-wide programs. The School of Social Work awards select scholarships to BASW students in their final year. A separate application for SSW departmental scholarships will be sent to all current BASW students in the spring before their final year. This information will be used to guide us in determining a match for potential sources of funding at the School; scholarships will be used to help support the School’s recruitment efforts to ensure diversity within the School. Please complete the FAFSA/WAFSA as soon as possible- this is a requirement for consideration as financial need is often a determining factor for many awards. Should you be selected for an award you will be notified by the Scholarship Committee by email.

Child Welfare Training and Advancement Program (CWTAP)

What is CWTAP? CWTAP is a partnership between the UW SSW and the WA State Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF) that recruits and retains social workers to work in the field of public child welfare. CWTAP has over 30 years of experience in providing academic support and child welfare experiential learning to students new to the field and students who have made a career in the field. The program is also designed for current DCYF Child Welfare employees who would like to build their skills and further their career advancement opportunities. 

What are the financial benefits of CWTAP? CWTAP provides up to 100% of in-state tuition assistance, regardless of income, and in return students will complete their practicum with the DCYF Child Welfare Program and work for the program after graduation for the equivalent amount of time they receive CWTAP tuition assistance. 

How do I get started with CWTAP? Anyone accepted into the University of Washington BASW program who is interested in beginning their social work career in public child welfare is welcome to apply. After being accepted into the BASW program, students will be invited to attend the CWTAP Information Session during their junior year and complete the application process. 

The Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards (OMSFA)

The Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships, and Awards helps University of Washington undergraduates develop the skills and personal insights necessary to pursue scholarships appropriate to their goals. They provide information and resources to increase student awareness of the scholarship search and application process. They mentor students through an intense process by offering resources, advising, and individual feedback as well as collaborating with faculty and staff to identify and support potential student scholars. For more information, please visit their website.

Undergraduate Research Program

Funding to support undergraduate research is available through opportunities managed by the Undergraduate Research Program, other UW programs and organizations beyond campus. The funding may take a variety of forms, such as:

  • Fellowships, scholarships and awards that provide assistance with tuition and fees
  • Direct grants for research materials
  • Other awards that provide assistance for specific activities like travel to a research site or travel to professional conferences

Students interested in learning more about undergraduate research-related funding opportunities are encouraged to meet with a URP adviser.