Still have questions?

We encourage prospective students to review our MSW Admissions Information, and MSW Program Information as they begin their research on the UW School of Social Work. Feel free to browse the frequently asked questions prospective students are interested in - if your question does not appear below, please email us or call (206) 543-5676. We look forward to hearing from you!


The Admissions Department would love to have you visit the UW School of Social Work! The best way to reach us is by phone at 206-543-5676 Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm (may vary due to holidays and scheduled breaks). You may email us at Our address is 4101 15th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105. You are also welcome to stop by our Drop-In Hours on Thursdays from 10am-12pm and again from 1pm-3pm.

Yes! Please see our admissions event calendar to register for an upcoming on-campus MSW information session, or online webinar.  Recordings of recent webinars are also available. Please email to request this information, or visit our admissions event calendar to see if a recent webinar is available on our website.

Unfortunately, we do not admit students for spring quarter. Students who are applying for the Advanced Standing Program will begin classes during the summer quarter. The MSW Day and Extended Degree Program begin classes starting in the fall quarter.

Fee waivers are available to current McNair Scholars and PPIA Fellows who have sent documentation to the Graduate School at prior to requesting the fee waiver. Fee waivers are also available to applicants who qualify for need-based waivers (need-based applicants must have earned income under the appropriate State of Washington family or individual income limits in the most recent tax year preceding the application). Fee waiver requests must be submitted in the online application after all steps of the application have been completed* and at least 7 calendar days prior to the program’s posted application deadline – late requests (anything within 7 days of the deadline) will automatically be denied. If you have further questions regarding the application fee waiver, please Contact the Graduate School at or call 206.685.2630. *If you are planning on applying for the fee waiver, you must submit all the documents required and list your references one week prior to the application deadline (December 27th), HOWEVER, references do not need to submit their letters prior to your submission/request for a fee waiver. 

Unfortunately, the MSW Advanced Standing option is for students who have earned a BA degree from a U.S baccalaureate program in Social Welfare or Social Work that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). 

A Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work is not a requirement to be admitted into our MSW Day and Extended Degree Program. We encourage students from all backgrounds and undergraduate majors to apply. However, if applying for our MSW Advanced Standing Program, it is a requirement for admissions. To learn more about the requirements needed for admission, please visit our website at:

Students may be able to transfer some credits from a different university/college if they meet all of the eligibility requirements for admission to our program first. The Graduate School limits the number of graduate level credits that can transfer from another institution. Any upper division credits that students have at another institution in Social Work or Social Welfare will be evaluated by the Admissions Office after an acceptance offer is made. Beyond the standard MSW application, there is no separate application for applicants who are applying as transfer students from another MSW program. However, such applicants are expected to include at least one member of the social work faculty of their current/previous institution among the three required references. Transfer students who are transferring from a CSWE-accredited MSW program may be eligible to transfer up to 39 quarter credit hours (their entire foundation curriculum) from their previous institution, however, this is subject to review by the MSW Program Director and Student Services to ensure course equivalency. Students considering transferring from a CSWE-accredited program should, if at all possible, complete the full foundation curriculum at their first program in order to maximize how many credits can be accepted. All degree requirements need to be completed within a 6 year window; courses that will be older than that at the time of graduation from the UW may not be able to be used. If admitted, transfer students may be required to submit syllabi for each course taken at their previous program. Students wishing to transfer credits from a different type of graduate program from which they didn’t graduate are limited to 6 transfer credits as written on the UW Graduate School website.

If you are interested in two of our programs, OR are willing to accept admissions to a secondary option, you can complete one application. When doing so, you need to express a preference for one program and list the alternative as your second choice. Your application can only be considered for one program at a time. If you are not accepted to your first choice, you may be considered for the second choice, but there is no guarantee of admission. Please apply to the correct portal for your first choice program – see MSW Application Instructions for details.

SOC W 505 - Foundations of Social Welfare Research, which is part of the core curriculum in the MSW Day and Extended Degree programs, does require a basic statistics course as a prerequisite. Students do not need to meet this requirement before they apply to the MSW programs; you may choose to get this prerequisite taken care of at a suitable time. Our academic advisors strongly encourage applicants to complete this prerequisite prior to starting the program, as it can be difficult with a graduate course load to complete this requirement prior to enrolling in SOC W 505.

Please review this form here to assist you in identifying your social service experience. If you have additional questions, please call us at 206-543-5676. Advanced Standing applicants are recommended to have 2000 hours by the start of the programHowever, this is not required. There is no minimum requirement of experience in the Day and Extended Degree Programs. The admissions team does calculate the average amount of years of relevant experience for each cohort, which is used simply as a gauging tool. The amount of experience prospective students have does not determine admissions alone; the quality and depth of experience is taken into consideration as well.

Prospective first-year MSW students may submit the optional Funding Consideration form that is part of the MSW application for admission, to be considered for an array of competitive funding opportunities. For full consideration, applicants are advised to also complete the FAFSA (or WASFA) by the UW’s priority FAFSA deadline since several departmental scholarships are dependent upon need-based aid as determined by the FAFSA.  A small number of graduate assistantships may also be available depending on the year (e.g. Student Information Specialist, Student Computer Consultant) and welcome applications from continuing MSW students as well as incoming first-year MSW students. Please refer to our website to learn more about the opportunities that are available and relevant to your background and situation.

Undocumented/DACA Students

If you have graduated from a WA state high school, you may be eligible for funding. Please complete the WASFA as soon as possible as this assists us in determining your financial need. The School of Social Work does have departmental scholarships available for ALL students and are primarily merit and financial-need based. Please complete the Funding Consideration Form and submit with your application. Additionally, it may be beneficial to start an external funding search early – one place to begin would be with the Graduate Funding Information Service. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at 206-543-5676.

The Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program, or GO-MAP, has detailed instructions for students on how best to complete the demographics portion of the graduate school application. Please review these materials prior to beginning your application. We highly encourage students to review the Northwest Immigrants Rights Project DACA Advisory that outlines recommendations for community members who have applied for DACA or who are interested in applying. Need additional support in applying? Feel free to reach out to our office, GO-MAP, or Leadership Without Borders. Prospective students can also explore scholarship opportunities and resources offered by Immigrants Rising.


International Students

Unfortunately, the UW does not provide financial aid/assistance or scholarships for international students. The UW is a publicly funded institution, so financial aid is available to only U.S citizens or U.S permanent residents. U.S immigration laws require international applicants to provide proof of financial support before the university can formally admit a student and issue appropriate immigration documents. The School of Social Work does have departmental scholarships available for ALL students (including international) and are primarily merit and financial-need based. Please complete the Funding Consideration Form and submit with your application. Additionally, it may be beneficial to start an external funding search early – one place to begin would be with the Graduate Funding Information Service. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at 206-543-5676.

For the MSW Day and Advanced Standing program, students who also meet the qualifications for the Tuition Exemption Program may use the tuition exemption program toward their graduate program at the School of Social Work. Because the MSW Extended Degree program (EDP) is a fee-based program, EDP students are not eligible for tuition exemption benefits. For additional information, please visit the Tuition Exemption Program webpage. Please note that it can be challenging in the Advanced Standing and Day program to maintain the minimum hours of employment to be eligible for tuition exemption. Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions regarding this matter - (206) 543-5676.

Because The Graduate School online application often has difficulty with the large documents, please attempt to compress your file and upload; if you are unable to submit online, please mail your summary and narrative transcripts to our office where they will be evaluated by our Admissions team. You will receive any further instructions upon receipt. Please mail the narratives to this address:


School of Social Work Admissions

4101 15th Avenue NE

Box 354900

Seattle, WA 98195


You should complete the remainder of your application in a timely fashion.

To calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA) for the last 90 quarter or 60 semester graded credits:

  1. Working from the most recent quarter/semester add the graded course credits (excluding thesis or dissertation courses) until you reach 90 quarter or 60 semester credits. Use these 90 quarter or 60 semester credits to calculate your GPA.
  2. To calculate your GPA, multiply each course grade by the credits to achieve grade points. Add all grade points and divide by the total number of credits.

If you have additional questions about calculating a GPA for your major field of study, or for a time period less than reported on your transcript, please contact the Graduate School directly at or 206.685.2630. 

Your references are people who can help you present the full picture of your unique and diverse potential to contribute to our learning community and develop into a strong social justice advocate. This can include a faculty member, supervisor, co-worker, volunteer coordinator, etc. Please do not have family members, friends, intimate partners or clients as references. These are not appropriate references for your application.  It is encouraged to have a mix of academic and professional references.

Yes, you are encouraged to cite any references, particularly in the Social Problem Analysis, part 2. Part 2 should be a demonstration of your academic writing skills. Essays must follow APA style guidelines, and be double-spaced with 1-inch margins on standard-sized (8.5” x 11”) paper, using 12-point font (either Times New Roman or Calibri).   

Practicum placements are established by the Field Education Office. While it is possible to do a practicum placement at your workplace in some cases, there are a great number of details that must be assessed by each work situation to see if a ‘place of employment’ practicum will be allowed. To find out more about this option, we invite you to contact the Office of Field Education.

Provided by the UW Graduate School, you can check on the status by logging back into your application. Please log back into your online application and click on “Status” under “Action” to view the most recent updated information about your application status. 

To create your UW NetID, click here. You will select “I do not have a UW NetID” then click “UW Student” and input your last name, birth date, student number, and Private Access Number (PAC). You can find your Student Number and PAC on your application portal by clicking “check application” on the right side of the screen. If you have a UW NetID and do not remember your log-in credentials, please contact UW IT.