Note: Description of additional campus programs, resources, and services are accessible through MyUW  or the Student Guide on the Web.
Student representation is a part of many committees in the School. Relevant committees are included in the Opportunities for Involvement section. If interested, contact the faculty member listed. Committee meeting times are often noted in the SSW Master Calendar.

Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Requirements for Teaching

The Council on Social Work Education requires 2 years of post-BASW or post-MSW experience in order for students to teach required BASW or MSW practice courses. This policy has impact on one's marketability for teaching positions in Schools of Social Work and should be carefully considered in preparing for teaching positions.

It is possible to obtain practice experience hours while enrolled in the PhD program. Faculty and current students are good resources for discussing methods and developing contacts to help in this effort.

Extracurricular Concerns

There are numerous extracurricular activities at the University of Washington and in the School of Social Work. Many of these are described in various publications such as The Daily, University Week, the University of Washington Bulletin, and the School of Social Work Forum. There is, of course, no requirement for students to participate in any extracurricular activities. However, they should become familiar with resources and privileges that are available to them as members of the University community. Such benefits, to name only a few, include access to the intramural recreational facilities and equipment, reduced-cost admission to University-sponsored events, health care services, and assistance with housing. There are also organizations and committees concerned with special needs of graduate students on campus. Please see the “Resource Guide Summary” section for more details.

Inclement Weather Policy

  1. If the University of Washington closes due to inclement weather, the School of Social work will also close and all classes will be cancelled. Call 206-547-INFO (4636) for recorded information about the University's operation during inclement weather
  2. School of Social Work faculty may cancel a class due to concerns about safety, regardless of whether the rest of the University is closed. Instructors who cancel their classes will a) leave a message on their voice mail; b) notify the School's main receptionist (206-543-5640); and c) notify Student Services (206-543-8617). Student Services will announce cancellations on email and will put the information on the office voice mail after the office closes (206-543-8617). Students with questions about a particular class may thus check their email or call their faculty's voice mail, the School's receptionist, or Student Services. (Some faculty may also have an arrangement to notify their classes by email, but we recognize that many students do not have access to email during the day.)

Your Address—Please Keep It Current

It is critical that you keep your local address and telephone number updated with the University (Registrar Office in 225 Schmitz). Without a current local address and telephone number, you may not receive periodic mailings or be contacted by the administration, faculty, or Student Services staff. Please complete the appropriate form at Schmitz Hall or update your address with the University through MyUW or by telephone: 206-543-3868.

Release of Information from Student Files

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 protects the privacy of your educational records. Students who do not want assignments returned to their student mail file should make other arrangements with their instructors. However, the following information is considered public or "directory" information and may be released to anyone unless you inform the Office of the Registrar that you do not wish any information released: name, address, telephone number, major field of studies, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, full-or part-time enrollment status, and educational institutions attended. If you do not wish to authorize directory release and do not want your directory information to appear in the published or electronic Student Directory, you must restrict access through MyUW or call the address change service at 206-543-3868 to restrict access to this information. No information will be released on students that have restricted release of directory information including degrees awarded and dates of attendance. If you later wish to change your authorization and allow release, you must go to the Registration Office, 225 Schmitz and present photo identification. The School of Social Work will routinely release the information noted above if you have not restricted your release through the Office of the Registrar. If you need a hardcopy of your transcript in the future, please order it directly through the Transcript Office by calling 206-543-5940. If you want prospective employers or schools to have any of the information noted earlier, then there can be no "holds" on your degree (for example, because a library payment is unpaid, etc.). If you choose not to give the releases to the University of Washington and/or the School of Social Work, you should remember to change the release with the Office of the Registrar or provide the School with separate releases any time you use the University of Washington or School of Social Work or its faculty for reference purposes.

FERPA rules re educational records.
(Click on link for full text: Below is relevant text re student file access)

3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. 
The University discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including, but not limited to UW Police Department personnel, SafeCampus personnel, and health staff); a contractor, consultant, or other outside service provider retained to provide various institutional services and functions under contract or by statute instead of using University employees or officials (including, but not limited to an attorney, auditor, collection agent, information systems specialist, teaching affiliate, and clinical mentor); a person serving on the Board of Trustees, the Institutional Review Board, and any other University board, committee or council; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. 

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

Upon request, the University also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. This disclosure may be made at any point in time, even after the student has enrolled in the new school, if the disclosure is in connection with the student's enrollment in the new school. The University may also update, correct, or explain information it has disclosed to another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

Campus Resources

Associated Students, University of Washington (ASUW) 
Center for Instructional Development and Research (CIDR)
Teaching, Learning & Technology (CTLT)
Course Evaluation Catalog
Disability Resources for Students 
Graduate Professional Student Senate (GPSS) 
Hall Health Primary Care Clinic 
Husky Union Building (HUB) 
Intramural Activities Building (IMA) 
Sexual Assault and RelChildcare Assistance
Social Work Writing Help and Resources
University of Washington Counseling Center
UWCARES Escort Service
NightRide Shuttle Service
Women’s Center 

Scholarship Funding Information

Graduate Student Funding
UW Graduate School Web page with links to general funding information.

Grants & Funding Services for UW Graduate Students (GFIS) 
Cooperative Project of the Graduate School and University of Washington Libraries to support UW graduate students who are seeking any type of general or research funding.